REVIEW: TOO FACED MELTED LIPSTICKS IN NUDE, PEONY, FUCHSIA & BERRY



As with a lot of the products I purchase, I had been watching a lot of rave reviews about the Too Faced Melted Lipsticks on You Tube before I committed to buying them.

In 2014, Too Faced released a limited edition Melted Kisses set that 4 mini Melted Lipsticks in the shades Nude, Peony, Fuchsia and Berry. That did it. After all the rave reviews I had been reading, I couldn’t help but purchase this little set that seemed like such value for money.

I’ve been wearing them for many months now so I have come to know them very well before writing this review.

Do I like them? They’re ok. Although they do have their good features, I haven’t found that they meet the expectations that I have of them after reading and watching so many wonderful reviews.

For the full review click on “read more”.

THE CLAIMS

From Too Faced’s website:
Get the staying power of a stain, the intense color of a liquid lipstick and the high shine of a gloss in one long-wear formula. Using exclusive technology to keep cauldrons of molten lipsticks liquid and creamy, Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick comfortably coats lips in bursts of intense, high-impact, super rich, saturated color that lasts for hours.


THE SHADES

I own four of the shades from the Too Faced Melted Lipstick range:

  • Nude
  • Peony
  • Fuchsia
  • Berry

Nude and Peony are a little too light to my skin tone and can make me look a little washed out. I definitely use the darker shades in Fuchsia and Berry more often, particularly Berry which is a lovely striking berry shade with red undertones.

In fact, when I was swatching the Melted Lipsticks to take this photo, I discovered that my Berry shade has almost entirely run out!

For more information about my colour matches, skin type and daily routine click here and the page will open in another window.



THE REVIEW

I have said this before in my review of the Milani Color Statement Lipsticks. I have dry lips. Think The Sahara Desert during a drought. It really takes very little to emphasise the dryness and the lines in my lips.

I think this is important to say up front because it really informs where I am coming from with this review.

The texture of these Too Faced Melted Lipsticks was somewhat surprising when I first tried them on. I wouldn’t call them “creamy” at all, like the claim, but I don’t mean that in a negative way.

The texture or consistency of the Melted Lipstick is very thin, certainly a lot thinner than a normal liquid lipstick. I actually think that it feels a lot more like a stain when I apply it to my lips, although the colour pay off makes it look a lot more like a liquid lipstick. When I compare it to say my L’Oreal Paris Shine Caress Lip Stain for example, I actually think that the Too Faced Melted Lipstick feels thinner on the lips.
 
The biggest problem for me with the Melted Lipsticks is that they are incredibly drying on my already dry lips. I can feel the lipstick slowly sucking the moisture out of my lips as the day progresses.

They also have a terrible tendency to emphasise the lines of my lips, particularly the two lighter shades of Nude and Peony believe it or not.

So, no. I don’t find that the Melted Lipsticks “comfortably coat my lips” as Too Faced claim.

For me, I have found the best method to apply these liquid lipsticks is to moisturise my lips before application and apply as thin a coat as possible.

I apply a lip balm and let it sink into my lips for as long as I can.

I then apply the Melted Lipstick straight from the tube using the sponge tip applicator.

For me, the key for getting these to work is to apply a thin coat. I dab the applicator in a few spot across my lips and then working fast (because it sets fast) I use my finger to spread it across my lips. I then press my lips together to even out the colour. After I have done, I use whatever it left on the sponge tips to go around the edges of my lips to make sure that the edges are as sharp as I can get them.

The colour payoff is definitely magnificent. Even when I use my particular method of application I can still get a great opaque colour payoff from the Too Faced Melted Lipsticks, with a lovely glossy finish.

I also find that are quite long wearing, particularly the darker shades of Fuchsia and Berry. They also leave a light stain behind, which I actually like so long as the stain is pretty even (and most of the time it is with these lipsticks).

The biggest downside though is that the darker shades in particularly don’t wear evenly and I find that I often end up with the dreaded ‘lipstick halo’, one of my most serious pet peeves.


THE COST

I can’t recall how much the limited edition Too Faced Melted Kisses Set was – but I do remember it being good value and regardless of my experience with the product I stand by the fact that it was good value.

The full size single Too Faced Melted Lipsticks retail for $28.00AUD at Mecca.

I am not a big liquid lipstick connoisseur so I can’t comment on how these might compare to other liquid lipsticks out there on the market (and there certainly seem to be a lot at the moment).

As a result of my personal experience with the Too Faced Melted Lipsticks, I would have to say that they aren’t worth the $28.00 to me.

If you have normal/moisturised lips then you might have a more positive experience with them and more value in the price.


THE WRAP UP

All I can really say is that they’re ok. Nothing more, nothing less.

The pros:
  • Nice thin texture/consistency upon application
  • Good colour pay off

The cons:
  • Drying
  • Emphasise dry lips
  • Don’t wear evenly
  • Lipstick halo

I wouldn't buy another shade in the full size (although the Fig shade does look very tempting) but that really comes down to how these perform on my dry lips. I hope that if you have normal lips you have better luck with these than I have had.