ESSENCE EYEBROW STYLIST KIT: MY BROWS BUT BETTER

Image from the Essence website

I think that the Essence Eyebrow Sylist Kit was the first kit of brow powders that I ever purchased.

I've always been more of a brow pencil kind of girl. Mostly because of the convenience. I always found the pencil faster because you didn't need a brush and more convenient because you could easily just put it in your bag for top ups if required during the day.

The problem was that all of the brow pencils I had purchased were from cheaper brands and the colours were never quire right and the longevity was never quite there.

Not one to give up (and not one to buy a more expensive product if I can find a cheaper one that works), I thought that I would branch out and try the Essence Eyebrow Stylist Kit after seeing it reviewed by Goo Roo Beauty on her You Tube channel.

It is a decision that I never regretted. This is my go-to brow product. I LOVE it.

Read on for the review. 




THE CLAIMS

The Essence website doesn't say much about this product other than:

"this complete kit is ideal for styling your eyebrows. it contains two eyebrow pwders, an applicator and three templates for perfect shape in an instant".

Is it just me or does anyone else find it really irritating that they haven't used capital letters are the beginning of their sentences?


THE SHADE

I am pretty sure that this only comes in the one shade - natural brunette. (For more information about my skin type, colour matches and daily routine click here and it will open in a new window).

It has a darker, chocolaty brown powder for those with darker brows and a taupe coloured powder for those with lighter brows. Both of the shades are on the cooler side.

I mostly use the taupe coloured powders in my brow.


THE REVIEW

My brow preferences

Since I am reviewing a brow product, I think that it is important that I outline what my preferences are when it comes to my brows because it is of course these preferences that dictate whether or not I ultimately like the product.

My personal preference is for natural looking brows. Especially on a day to day basis. I want my makeup to help me to look like an effortlessly improved version of myself. That means no "instagram" eyebrows, just natural but slightly more defined brows.

I have been blessed with what I think are pretty good eyebrows naturally, so I am happy just to tidy up the edges and give them a little more colour so that they stand out just that little bit more from my face.

How I use the different colours

This is why I really LOVE the Essence Eyebrow Stylist Kit.

On a day to day basis I use the taupe shade just to tidy and my brows and add a little more colour. The lighter shade is perfect for this because it doesn't unnaturally darken up my natural brow colour but it does work really well to naturally define them and deepen them without it being obvious that I have done anything at all with my eyebrows.

If I am going somewhere a little fancier than just to work or my brows are being particularly unruly or uncooperative, I will use the darker brown powder to define the bottom edge of the brows just that little bit more and then go through the rest of them with the taupe powder.

Bobs your uncle, my "my brows but better" complete.

Applying the powders

There is a brush that comes with the Essence Eyebrow Stylist Kit and although I usually throw these away I must say - this brush is actually really good for applying the product. The bristles are nice and stiff and the head of the brush is thin - the perfect combination for brow application.

Nonetheless, I don't tend to use it just because I can't be bothered trying to pull it out of its little compartment in the plastic sheath (more about the packaging later).

My preference for applying the Essence Eyebrow Stylist Kit into the brows is to use an angled brush.

I own four:

  • Napoleon Perdis angled brush (a not very impressive brush)
  • Zoeva angled brush (amazing for liner)
  • Zoeva Brown Line brush (has a lot going for it but is too thick to be perfect for me)
  • EcoTools angled brush

And the winner is... the EcoTools angled brush by a long shot. It's bristles are firm and the brush is nice and narrow. The perfect combination for getting natural looking brush strokes.

Longevity

Well, it doesn't last as long as my Anastasia Brow Wiz but for a (let's be honest) cheap little brow product I have been really impressed with the longevity of the Essence Eyebrow Stylist Kit.

I notice a little fading around lunch time but nothing that really bothers me. By the time I have got home from work it's pretty much faded but by the time I get home from work I don't need improved eye brows anymore.

I do try to set them before I leave the house with either a clear brow gel or some hairspray on a spoolie. Although this helps tame the unruly hairs I really can't tell if it effects the longevity of the product but I suspect that it doesn't.

Packaging

The packaging is the greatest weakness of this product. The powders and brushes are inset into a clear plastic sleeve which is encased by a hard plastic cover with a lid. The lid needs to be removed and the entire sleeve then needs to be pulled out before you can use the product.

This might make me sound a bit lazy but pulling it out of so many layers of packaging is just a bit too much work me in the mornings. I have to get myself and my three year old son ready for our day. I have resolved this problem by keeping the lid permanently removed and the inner sleeve half pulled out so that I have easy access to the taupe shade that I most commonly use.

I also think that in the end it's just not as convenient as a pencil if you need to take it with you to do a top up during the day and it isn't as convenient for travel.


THE MONEY

$5.10AUD can you believe it!?

Cheap and great!


THE WRAP UP

I think that it is pretty clear that I love this little gem. For me, it is the perfect product to get that natural "my brow but better" look for every day use. I will repurchase it and would definitely recommend it.