REVIEW: MAC PRO LONGWEAR NOURISHING WATERPROOF FOUNDATION

I was both nervous and excited when the new Mac Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof foundation was released. Mac foundations and I generally don't get along too well. I tried the Mac Studio Fix foundation because I had heard good things about its longevity on oily skin like mine. In reality though I found that it looked cakey no matter how I applied it and my lunch time it had already become patchy and worn half off my face. The Mac Pro Longwear lasted much longer on my skin but it didn't have quite the coverage that I like.

So although I was skeptical that I could find a Mac foundation that would work for, I had read such good reviews of the Mac Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof foundation that I thought I would give it a try anyway.

Good decision, because I really love this foundation.

Click here to read the full review.





THE CLAIMS

From the website:
A tenacious waterproof formula that can be used as a foundation or concealer, wearing for an unprecedented 24 hours. Neither rain nor tears can budge this oil-free watertight product that actually repels moisture from the surface of the face. The formula blends seamlessly on the skin with medium to full weightless coverage and a natural satin finish.


THE SHADE

I wear NW20 in the Mac Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof foundation.


THE REVIEW

Before I launch into the review, I do want to say that it is based on it's performance using a primer. I always wear a primer because I normally have such oily skin.

Formula and blendability

The foundation is quite thick; it has almost a mousse like consistency. When I squeeze it out of the tube it will sit in one blob and not run off like some other thinner consistency foundations. The formula reminds me a little of the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation, which is actually a foundation that didn't work well with my skin.

Despite some reservations about the the thickness of the formula, I actually find that it blends really well. It doesn't matter if I apply it with a foundation paddle brush, buffing brush or my sponge, it blends easily seamlessly into my skin.

Coverage

Mac Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof foundation has a very buildable medium to full coverage. I have found that it can be a little cakey if you apply too much at first - it is definitely better, in my experience, to apply it in layers and build it to coverage that you are looking for,

Finish

When applied sparingly and built to the coverage that you require, I have found that the finish of the Mac Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof foundation is really quite natural. I agree with the claim that it has a satin finish and find that it makes my skin look quite healthy. It doesn't feel like I am wearing lots of makeup and it doesn't look like it either.

Longevity

Let's start with the obvious - this doesn't last for 24 hours. Mind you, who would need their foundation to last for 24 hours???

Longevity is very important to me. I need my foundation to last from 7.30am to 5.30pm each day and I want it to last with as little attention as possible. With the Mac Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof foundation I can achieve that easily. It last as long as I need it to with as little attention as possible. To keep it looking great I would need to touch up with powder at lunch time but I can just as easily skip that and make it to the end of the day still looking acceptable.

It definitely lasts longer on me than Mac Studio Fix and Mac Pro Longwear. It has a similar wear time to my Estee Lauder Double Wear but looks more natural.

Skin type

How the foundation looks and performs is of course going to be affected by your skin type.

My normal skin type is oilslick oily and when I purchased asfirst started wearing the foundation my skin was in its natural state. It looked natural and lasted really well.

I have recently given birth to my second child (6 weeks ago!) and since giving birth my body and hormones have of course been going insane.

One lovely side effect is that my skin has become dry. I mean super dry. Desert dry. It seems that my skin only does things in extremes.

I can no longer wear some of my foundations (Bobbi Brown Longwear,I'm looking at you), simply because they are aimed for oily skin and I cannot get them to work on me while my skin is so parched.

The Mac Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof foundation performs just as well on my dry skin as it did on my oily skin.

Waterproof

I am the perfect person to test this claim. a complication of my eye condition is that my right tear duct no longer works. Instead of tears draining away as they should, my eye constantly runs because the tears don't drain away.

This means my foundation under my eye and down my cheek gets a hammering. This is more than being caught in the rain or having a good cry. This is constant tears and constant wiping at the tears - all day and all night long.

Not much can hold up to that but the Mac Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof foundation really rises to the challenge. In fact, I would go so far as to say of all my foundations I think it actually performs the best under those conditions.

So, I haven't been in the shower with it on or been swimming with it on but on the basis of how it performs when tested by my faulty tear duct I would say that it stands up the waterproof claim.


THE COST

This costs $54AUD. Is it good value? Well. I would rather pay less let's face it. Especially given I am buying 25mil, which is less than the standard 30milof a normal foundation.

Nonetheless, I paid it, I love the foundation and I will pay it again when it needs replacing.


THE WRAP UP

Pros: Just about everything.

Cons: Can't think of a thing.